Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Nerd Wars: History Challenge

For my fifth and final challenge, I needed to make a project that could be linked to history.  For team unity, I needed to make something that could be tied to "the battle of Blackwater" from Game of Thrones.  I had fallen in love with a pattern called Crowne Royal on Ravelry.  You knit the headband first in a cabled pattern and then knit the top of the hat with stitches you pick up.

I decided to use my green merino blend in the color sage.  This was the first yarn I spun on my wheel so it is very thick in parts and thin in others.  The fiber:


I looked to the Greeks and Romans first and then to the Regency/Napoleonic period.  Luckily, I love the Regency period of England and have a ton of research materials.  I found a picture in a book called, The Mode in Hats and Headdress by R. Turner Wilcox from 1946 that had the perfect picture of a similar headband on a hat from 1802.



I ran out of yarn, so my hat is just a headband.  I decided that it would be something that Cersei might wear while she sat on the Iron Throne and told stories to Tommen while the battle raged outside the castle in King's Landing. 


I think it is a very romantic style and the unevenness of the yarn gives it character.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails