Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dyeing Yarn with Easter Egg Dye

So this month on the dye-along on the What a Kool Way to Dye group on Ravelry, the theme is Easter Egg Dye.  So last month, I found this really tacky white wool worsted weight lacy cardigan that was hand-knit in Italy.  It is 80% wool, 10% mohair and 10% nylon.  And it is not a very nice mohair. 

So I unraveled it into skeins that look like this:

It took about a day to get it all unraveled and I used my niddy noddy to skein it up.  And then I bought some cheap Easter Egg Dye kits from Walmart not realizing that I had two sets at home already.  I found those when I started decluttering the kitchen drawers and cabinets.  Now I have a nice little stash of dyes.

So my younger daughter wanted to do red, my older daughter wanted to do blue and purple and I accidentally started a green one by mistake thinking it was purple.    Here they are in the dye pots:


Red dye pot, as you can see the dye didn't dissolve well.  And the green pot which dyed very light.  Our directions said to add 3 tablespoons of vinegar to each tablet and let it dissolve, then add enough water to cover the yarn and let it sit until the yarn is the color you want or are happy with.

And the purple/blue dye pot.  It was really fun doing this.  And the colors did come up a bit but then I also dunked them in each side for good measure.

Want to see how it all came out?


The red is more of a pink, the green is limey and the purple/blue came out very pretty.  Now I need to cake them up and wait for a neat project to come along.  We may do felted purses. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails