Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Helix Scarf in Handspun

So I have subscribed to Spin-off Magazine and also picked up some back issues and there was this wonderful spread of all these pretty little curly scarves knit up in handspun.  I fell in love.  The pattern is Helix and was also on the cover of Interweave's special issue Jane Austin Knits.

So I decided to unply my Enchanted Knoll in Gypsy that I spun and plied and knit myself a pretty scarf.  This is what it looks like so far:

It is not as delicate as most that you see because my handspun was a bit thick and thin.  I also shortened the pattern and only cast on 18 stitches so my short rows are 6 and 3.  I like it a lot though.

Want to see more works in progress?  Then check out Tami's blog.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Oh that is lovely!

pinkundine said...

Looks like a great pattern for handspun :) Love the colours too

Sandy said...

My boss received a scarf made this way for Christmas. I was thinking it sounded like a pain to knit with all the short rows and going back and forth. So, will be curious as you progress to see if you enjoy knitting using this method. The end results looks very much the same as one on Lion Brand that is just knitted with increases, somehow it seems more straight forward? LOVE your handspun, very pretty.

Kim Sonksen said...

I love the thickness of the yarn and the colour is fab.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I love the thick and thin - my handspun is all like that - it makes for really lovely scarves!

CloseAcademy said...

I don't mind knitting short rows. They are actually kind of fun.

Thanks for stopping by.

WonderWhyGal said...

Now...why didn't I think of that. I really should go through all of my spin off mags and look at patterns. Good call!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails