Saturday, January 28, 2012

Trying out Spinning Wheels

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to try out the Ashford Traveller and the Schacht Ladybug.  The Fiber store I went to is about an hour away and was filled with all sorts of beautiful fiber, yarn, wheels and even looms.  It was a really neat place to visit and I can see driving the distance if I am in need of a particular yarn.

Ashford Traveller:
learned how to really spin on it
the treadles made my ankles hurt
the base bothered my legs

Schacht Ladybug:
I really like the way it is set up.
the treadles were gentler on my ankles
very cute wheel

Overall, the Ashford is out.  The Ladybug is cute and might be a good wheel to learn on but it won't grow with me.  I don't know that I will ever have the opportunity to buy a second wheel so I want the best I can get for my price range.  Because the Ashford is out because of its style, I am thinking that the Kromski Ministrel is going to have the same problems with the base bothering me.  I need a wheel that is open.

Next, I need to try out the Lendrum and it is probably the wheel I am going to buy.

But I did find some goodies at the shop.  Suri alpaca yarn!  You know these are the alpacas that look like they have long dreadlocks.  Well, I found two skeins of yarn in blue, on clearance and they just had to come home with me.

Isn't it pretty?  And it is so soft to the touch.  I am thinking of making a lacy cowl with beads.  I've not done beaded knitting yet and this just screams for it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails