Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spinning Wheel Research

I've spent quite a bit of time doing research on spinning wheels this past week.  And I now have some serious choices.  I am still in love with the Kromski Minstrel because it is so beautiful but I have to take into account what I am wanting to spin since I may only have this once chance to buy a wheel.

The top five wheels in the $500-600 range that have the most versatility are:

Lendrum Original--single or double treadle, ratios from 5 to 44, folds up for storage

Kromski Symphony--double treadle, scotch or double drive, ratios from 5 to 25

Ashford Traveller--double treadle, single or double drive, ratios from 3.7 to 30, small

Ashford Traditional--single treadle, single or double drive, ratios from 3.7 to 30

Fricke S160--double treadle, ratios from 5.7 to 19.4, folding version, very inexpensive

So over the next few months, I will be looking at these wheels used and around the end of February I will be ready to spend money on a wheel.  I'm very excited.  I have all sorts of fiber sitting in my bins waiting for my wheel.  Including a rainbow of corridale.


Reds

Yellows



Oranges

Greens



Blues

Purples
Aren't they pretty?  I have 26 ounces in 23 colors.  I can't wait.  There is enough variation of color to make pastel, bright, regular and just a bit off rainbows of color.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails