Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday WIP: Juliana in Beach Glass Bamboo Ewe

OK, so last year, I won a bunch of yarn.  I entered a contest at Jimmy Beans and forgot all about it and one day I got 9 skeins of Stitch Nation Bamboo Ewe yarn in the mail in the color of beach glass.  A couple of weeks later, I got 9 more in another dye lot of beach glass.  So I have 3100 yards of this yarn.

What can you do with 3100 yards of a bamboo/wool blend in a light turquoise blue?  Make a sweater.  So I am knitting up Juliana by Berroco.  This sweater is a cardigan that is knit sideways so that it wraps around you.

This is what I have done so far:
As you can see the dye lots differ just enough that by alternating every other row it gives it a nice gradient stripe pattern.  I am also slipping the stitches at either end.  I added an extra stitch so it wouldn't mess up the pattern.

The pattern up close:

As you can see there are two "holes" created every few rows.  The stitches in between these openings will be unraveled when I bind off for the sleeves.  I don't know that I will do the ribbed sleeves, I may do another pattern or even let the sleeves be loose. 

Want to see more works in progress?  Then check out Tami's blog.

6 comments:

Mami Dearest said...

I love the design of the sweater. Can't wait to see yours!

pinkundine said...

Love how the dyelots differ just enough to work beautifully as coordinating stripes :)

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the way you've dealt with the different dye lots. They look lovely!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

It's actually very pretty seeing the two disparate dyelots playing so nicely together!

Christina said...

That looks beautiful! I especially love the striping effect.

Pretty Mades said...

What a good idea (alternating dye lots) it's working beautifully.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails