Friday, October 21, 2011

Finished Object Friday: Cheerful Purse & First Yarn

I finished the purse, except I need to buy a zipper and sew it in and I might put a liner in it but all the knitting is done.
I decided to put the flowers on the front. 

But on Wednesday, I had my lesson to learn to spin on a spindle.  And I have my first yarn made out of brown sheep's wool.  It's not a very pretty color and I've made it slumpy (thick and thin) due to the fact that I was learning how to spin and then learning how to make it consistent.


I am thinking of either making Errol the owl from Harry Potter with it or dyeing it purple or blue and seeing what sort of color I end up with.  I really want to start playing with dyes now that I know how to spin.  Next I need to go shopping for a wooden spindle and fibers.  I'm thinking I want some merino and maybe something exotic like silk or camel?  I don't know.  What's your favorite fiber to knit with?

Want to see more Finished Objects then check out Tami's Blog.

9 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Gosh I just love those little flowers with their button centres on the front of the purse!

Karen said...

The flowers look wonderful on the purse! The whole thing came out fantastic.

pinkundine said...

Congrats on your first spinning :)

The little flowers on the front of the bag look so cute :)

myhookandyarnadventure said...

The purse looks fantastic! So Cheery!

Melissa Plank said...

Your purse is so cute, the flowers are a nice touch and your spinning is looking good, I can't wait to see what you make!

WonderWhyGal said...

That purse is darling. Great start with the knitting too. My favorite fiber...Alpaca.

erin said...

the button centers on the flowers are so adorable!

I like knitting with pretty much all natural fibers! but I guess I am partial to wool the most =)

Kathryn Ray said...

Congratulations on learning how to spin. It's so much fun and opens up a whole new world.

Merino is lovely to spin with. My favorite (of course) is huacaya alpaca.

I would recommend holding off on the camel and silk until you have good control over your drafting. Camel drafts really fast and straight silk can be quite a challenge as well.

When I was first learning to spin, I liked Corriedale and random mixed wools.

I actually just picked up some Corriedale and Lincoln Longwool rovings about 6 weeks ago from a local farm... I'm looking forward to freeing up my wheel so I can give them a try again.

Cindie said...

I am truly speechless. Just wow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails