Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Palette Yarn and Modular Knitting

Yesterday, I posted some videos and such to figure out what to do with all those 5 yard skeins I have of palette yarn.  This is a fingering weight yarn and 100% wool.  Well, I really want to make a shawl out of it.  You know one of those with lots of different colors going from light to dark.  I decided to make squares like quilting blocks and have started with the blush (very light pink) and custard (very light yellow) yarns.  Here is what I have so far:


Now, I bet you are wondering:  "How is she getting all those connected while knitting them?"

Well, I knit the first block, picked up the stitches along one edge to make the second block and did the same for the third.  It was the fourth block where things got tricky.  When I knit toward the middle, I leave the last stitch open.  Like this:



And then I get out my little crochet hook, push it through the slip-stitching on the side of the next block and pull that last stitch through.  It looks like this:


Then I put that stitch back on the needle and knit it.  The other side of the blocks show where everything is joined.  This has been a fun and challenging thing to work out.  I think it may take me some time to complete this project and I will post progress pictures as I go.

I am finishing up the cotton purse.  Currently, I am working on the strap.  Here it is so far:


I tried the feathers and fan for the edging on the flap.  The strap is wide but it curls in on itself which will make it a bit cushy (I hope) when I use it.  I still have about 6 inches or so of strap to knit before it is done and then I can sew on the buttons and finish everything off.  I may redo the edging on the flap though.  I cast off really tightly so it doesn't do that wave thing like it should.

Want to see more works in progress?  Then check out Tami's blog.

11 comments:

pinkundine said...

Oooh, thanks for the info on how to join the edges, I'm working on a blanket that will need some of that doing, so I really appreciate the hint!

Affiknitty said...

That is a very clever way of joining the squares as you go along! The purse looks great.

Sam Findlay said...

What a great way of joining up the squares, it looks so neat! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah (Crafts From The Cwtch) said...

Oh yum - that looks like Battenburg cake! (You know what I'm talking about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_cake) I think that's an ingenious way of joining - I'll have to try that out! :)

RugbyMad said...

What a clever way to join squares! I have a fallen in love with the bag.

CraftyClare said...

great yarn choices. I need to go out and buy battenburg cake now!!!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Joining squares while you knit?
Ingenious!

Sandy said...

That means you don't have to sew them together later, but sometimes it's nice to have the separate squares so you don't have a blanket on your lap (during hot weather). An interesting idea though, might like to give it a try. Will be anxious to see how you like the technique as your blanket grows, keep us posted. Pretty soft colors together.

Tami Klockau said...

Love the bag, but the squares are soo smart. Thank you so much for sharing your trick!

Tami Klockau said...

I just went back and read your post about your palette yarn! I have that same sampler!! I didn't really realize it was enough to make anything out of it. I just wanted to see all the pretty colors. LOL, now I want to make little squares!

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks all. The squares do look yummy don't they.

As for the palette sampler. My mom got 2 sets so I have a lot of yarn. 2 sets of 5 yards each is 10 yards times 100 colors equals 1000 yards. Enough to make something rather large.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails