Saturday, July 23, 2011

Magic Loop: Nightmare or Dream?

When I first decided that I wanted to learn how to knit socks, I went on YouTube and found some videos by knitpicks.  Included in these were ones on the magic loop.  I tried to use it to make my little I-pod holder and it was a disaster. 

A video on the magic loop:



But this week, I used the magic loop to make a change purse.  I was tired of using the double points on the cotton yarn.  It worked and worked well.  So now I am making my first pair of socks with the magic loop and I am so happy with the results. 

First of all, it knits so closely that you don't get those unsightly ladders.  And because of how the yarn is kept on the needles, my place marker floats away from the yarn rather than getting in the way of the yarn.

It is worth taking the time to learn this method but a few things to keep in mind:

use at least 29" loop to make socks or smaller circles
use needles with flexible cords otherwise you won't work
use needles that feel good in your hands

Have you tried the magic loop?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails