Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Grape Sweater

My oldest daughter loves purple and I found this soft mock-mohair yarn at my mom's house:

I have 7 skeins of this and decided to make her a sweater.  The pattern I had called for using size 8 & 9 needles but it was too big and almost lacy.  I went down to size 4 & 6 needles which seem to be the right gage.  That was the first time, I pulled it all apart.


Now it is a bit tight and she needs to have it wider on the shoulders so I will be pulling these three rows apart that shape the arm holes and add more rows and make the arm holes and the sweater a bit wider.  She is in the process of growing a lot so I need to make it a bit roomier otherwise she won't be able to wear it this winter.  This will be the second time I've pulled it apart back to the arm shaping.

I do love making sweaters but this is mystery yarn and so I have to be a little bit more creative.  The next sweaters will be made with nice yarn that has names and labels and information about weights and suggested needles sizes.  I think that will make it much easier.  At least with top-down sweaters you can keep trying them on to make sure they fit before moving on to the next step.

Want to see more works in progress?  Check out Tami's blog.

11 comments:

pinkundine said...

It looks like a pretty yarn, and I like the neck of the jumper. Hope it doesn't turn out to be too troublesome!

CraftyClare said...

I really like the neckline. She is a lucky girl xx

Calophi said...

Wow, you're a braver woman than I! Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Unconventional Us said...

that is going to be beautiful!

Sarah said...

It looks really nice- lovely colour!

Delusional Knitter said...

You're doing great for having mystery yarn ... not sure I would attempt that!!

Kathleen said...

I hope the mystery yarn works out, it looks great! I especially love the collar, the ribs look so plush and wonderful.

Vivianne said...

That is going to be a lovely cozy sweater :-)

Denise said...

Lovely yarn and sweater. Are you having a problem with ripping and reknitting the mock mohair?

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks. The collar is a 2 by 2 ribbing. No, I haven't had trouble with ripping it out and reknitting but I have been really careful to knit loosely. That seems to be the key with these types of yarn.

Tami Klockau said...

It looks great! I'm impressed you're able to make a sweater with yarn you have no clue what weight, etc it is! The color is awesome. I love purple too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails