Friday, May 27, 2011

Chunky and Fingering Weight Hat

I had some beautiful yarn in Sausalito from Crystal Palace yarns.  I made fingerless mitts and decided to make a matching hat but had an awful time finding a pattern I liked so I created my own.  First, pictures of the hat:

View from the top


Folded in fourths

What I used:

Chunky Mochi (a small bit) chunky
Sausalito (1 skein) fingering weight
size 6 and 4 needles dpn & 16 inch circular

How I did it:

cast on 98 stitches with chunky yarn on size 6 needles
5 rows of knit 1 purl 1
knit 5 knit 1 front and back
knit

knit front and back every stitch with fingering weight  on size 4 needles
knit 35 rows (6 inches)

decreasing
knit 5 knit 2 together
knit
knit 10 knit 2 together
knit
knit 9 knit 2 together
knit
continue until you get to knit 2 knit 2 together
knit 1 knit 2 together
knit 2 together
knit 2 together
weave yarn through remaining stitches and pull tight
finish

I love the hat.  Enjoy the pattern.

10 comments:

Pearlin J said...

nice hat! nice colour too

Affiknitty said...

I'm impressed with the pattern, thanks for sharing! I'm off to favorite it in Ravelry . . .

Nicky said...

Verrrrry nice!!!! And thanks for my first hat pattern. :D

Tami Klockau said...

Awesome hat! I love it! How does it sit on the head? Is it a slouchy hat? Thanks for the pattern!

Kathleen said...

I love the hat, too, the gathers at the top look really great.

KnottedFingers said...

I love the hat!! Would you mind updating with a photo of how it might look on someone's head? I really think I might have to make one :)

Unforth said...

Cute!!

HeatherLee said...

That is beautiful. I keep trying to learn to knit, but I find it so frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Hello, it is a lovely, colorful hat. I am a long time knitter, but would like to ask you to correct my understanding of the pattern if I have it wrong. Thank you in advance. I would knit in finger weight yarn.
Cast on 98 st with size 4 circular needle
The first 5 rows are rib, (knit 1 purl 1) then next row knit 5 purl 1 then next row all knit,correct? (don't understand the front and back?)
Then 35 rows all knit before decreasing. hat would fit children ages 7 and 9 and older? Thank you, Marjorie I see you appreciate Waldorf Education. I was a teacher in the Waldorf School for 17 years. :)

CloseAcademy said...

Because you are switching from chunky to fingering weight you are going to turn every stitch into 2. So you would knit 1 through the front of the stitch and then one through the back of the stitch. It fits me.

Yes, Waldorf made the younger years more for us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails