Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WIP: Fingerless Mitts

My mother gave me some yarn and a magazine and pointed out to me that she wanted some fingerless mittens.  I've been putting it off since I had other projects to do and I didn't know how to make mittens much less fingerless ones.

This week, I decided to pull out that yarn.  It is awful stuff, black, acrylic in some sort of fuzzy weave.  It is almost as difficult to work with as eyelash.  And I took a look through the Ravelry database for  a pattern for bulky yarn using a 10 or 10 1/2 needle.

The gloves started out sort of slow but I quickly found my rhythm.  The first one is done and the second is just cast on:
It's a very simple pattern and the black and white looks sort of neat.

Want to see more works in progress?  Check out Tami's blog.

8 comments:

Tami Klockau said...

Wow, I can't imagine making fingerless gloves with that! It looks like the yarn I'm using for my ripple blanket. Total pain in the you know what. Good luck with the second one!

Aimee said...

Homeschooling mom of 2, too! Like the Mitts....Happy WIPW.

CloseAcademy said...

It is really awful yarn but with all things, a big needle and some patience makes it all work.

They are both done now. I just need to take pictures for Friday.

Thanks for stopping by.

Marushka C. said...

On the bright side, at least she picked out a thick yarn that knits up quickly!

autumngeisha said...

That is extremely kind of you to make this for your mom. I like to experiment with different yarns and this one looks interesting. It calls out for a small project so a pair of fingerless gloves is a perfect choice. Plus now you know how to make them.

Affiknitty said...

That's nice of you to knit something up for your mom. At least you know your work will be appreciated!

paula said...

You must love your mom an awful lot. ;) The mitts look good, and like they'll be comfy to wear, but I don't envy you the knitting part!

Sally said...

whoo whee...i am not sure i could pull that off. i was given a bunch of this horrible yarn and felt like i had to use it....i tried countless projects with it, finished a couple, and decided that it wasn't worth my keeping. i donated it to my mom's rug hooking cause :) (it's the simply soft mess that i made my daughters coif, as seen on my rav projects page. don't use simply soft!)
good luck - i am glad you found your stride!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails