Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Tale of Two Pairs of Socks

For the first installment of my new column, Saturday Stitches, I am going to give you an update on how my socks are holding up.  Saturday stitches is going to be a regular posting on problems, solutions, and inspiration in knitting. 

Now for the socks.  I have finished three pairs of socks total.  The second pair of socks I made was out of Crystal Palace Yarns Merino 5.  This yarn was wonderful to knit with and the socks were beautiful.  But no one ever told me that this yarn was not meant to make socks out of.  This is what happens:

Yes, wearing merino socks on the bare wood floor without shoes will lead to holes.  The yarn just literally disappears.  After talking to the people at Crystal Palace, I now know that you need to add nylon thread to the bottom portion of the sock.  We are going to rip these back to the heel flap and then resole them with another sock yarn in a similar color scheme. 

Now, I know that it is better to make socks out of yarn that is meant for socks.  These are the socks I made out of Lorna's laces Shepherd Sock after several washing and much wearing without shoes on hardwood floors:


There is some pilling but that's OK.  The insides are still solid and there is very little shedding.  The merino socks shed almost as much as my rabbit.  These socks have really been abused during the last month and other than the pilling look and feel just like they came off my needles.

So what have I learned so far about knitting socks?

Use yarn that is made for socks or with some nylon in it so that they hold up to wear.

1 comment:

Sally said...

ahh, yes, the live-and-learn of handknit socks! you can add a thread of nylon to your yarn as you knit into the heels and toes (the hardest workers)if you are using a non-sock fingering weight yarn.
All your socks look great -- I love seeing your progress here and on Rav (though I rarely ever post here, I am reading :) )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails