Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pattern for Felted Rainbow Project Bag

I've had a request for the pattern for this bag:
I actually started out with the bucket bag pattern and went off on my own tangent from there.  Basically, I started with the bottom of that bag and took off on my own.

Yarn needed:
8 skeins of Cascade 220, 4 warm colors and 4 cool colors (you will use about 1/2 the skein for each).
size 10 1/2 straight needles
size 10 1/2 circular needles in 24" round

16 sets of short row triangles:

you cast on 21 stitches
knit them back
knit up 18, knit back
knit up 15, knit back
reduce by 3 each row until you have 3 stitches left
tie on the next color
knit 21 stitches and continue the pattern with each triangle

pick up stitches around the circle, 1 stitch for each row, place a marker where you start to knit
Knit 10 rows of each color
I did purple, violet, blue, cool green, warm green, yellow, orange, red.

When I got to the red, I wanted to do the last 5 rows in moss stitch, k1 p1 then knit the purls and purl the knits.

moss stitch 4 rows of each color
red, orange, yellow, warn green, cool green, blue, violet, purple

Then I decided I wanted stripes going in the opposite direction and decided to intarisa it.  I decided on an 8 by 8 rib.  I started with the purple because it was already on my needles, This is what happened:

knit 8 stitches purple
tie on violet, purl 8 stitches
tie on blue, knit 8 stitches
tie on cool green, purl 8 stitches
tie on warm green, knit 8 stitches
tie on yellow, purl 8 stitches
tie on orange, knit 8 stitches
tie on red, purl 8 stitches

(all of the balls are now in my bag)

I flipped it over, knit 8 in red
twist orange around red, purl 8
twist yellow around orange, knit 8

When I got to the buttonholes, I just didn't twist the yarn together, I left it open for about 6-8 rows.  I used my buttons to measure the opening and made the opening 20% larger than the buttons.  Then I finished off the last few rows.  I kind of wish that I would have done a 4 by 4 ribbing instead but the felting erased everything so it didn't really matter.

I did 1 3-stitch I-cord in each color.  These were 28 inches long, then I braided the 4 cool ones together and the 4 warm ones together.

I attached the straps to the bottom of the bag at the corners between 2 triangles.  And I should have attached the top of the straps to a point in the middle of the flap.  Basically, I just wove things in.

I threw it in my washer for 2 hot water cycles until there was very little light coming through the bottom of the bag.  I let it dry and then started stuffing it full of stuff.

I basically made things up as I went with this.  It was fun to make and I am so happy to have it to use to tote my project around in.  Enjoy!


Mandy in TN said...

I logged in to look at everyone's weekly review, but here I am book marking this for Mei! It is too fun for her to miss. Thanks!

CloseAcademy said...

It's a great bag.

Anonymous said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!


Related Posts with Thumbnails