Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Rainbows

I am coming along on my rainbow project bag.  I had hoped to have it done by now but I decided that I wanted to add a flap to the top and that the straps would be along the side more like a back-pack so that it was easy to carry slung over my shoulder.  Here it is:
I seed stitched the last 3 rows of the top and am seed stitching the first 1/2 of the flap.  The last 1/2, I am thinking about doing in a ribbing but doing the stripes crosswise just to add more of a flair.  I just love seed stitch. 

And I also took some time and taught myself to cable.  Here is my first attempt at cables:

I did an alternating cable and I did slip-stitch sides.  They make the squares look so much more uniform. 

If you want to see more works in progress then check out Tami's blog.

9 comments:

Countess Ablaze said...

Such a fabulous bag! I love seed stitches as well, they seem to make yarn colours just go "pop". And congrats on attempting cables! Your first attempt looks fab.

Aimee said...

Your bag looks wonderful-- I tried to comment last week, but was thwarted by a glitch in Blogger. And congratulations on your first cables!

Marushka C. said...

The rainbow bag is gorgeous! I love how seed stitch looks, but I get impatient knitting it more than a little at a time. This is my big incentive to learn how to knit Continental style -- seed stitch is supposed to be easier that way, and ribbing too. Good for you learning a new technique this week. There's no end to the fascinating things you can do with knitted cables.

Tami Klockau said...

Love love love your bag! I can't wait to see it felted! Great job on the cables!

autumngeisha said...

Your bag looks great so far. I think it's so neat that you're coming up with the pattern as you go along. Congratulations on your first cables. Aren't they so much fun to knit, and simpler than they seem?

CloseAcademy said...

Yes, cables were so simple once I figured it all out.

I knit combined so ribbing and seed stitch & such goes quickly. My yarn is on my left side and I use my left fingers and thumb to control the yarn while my right hand just jabs the needle where it needs to go and pulls yarn through.

Thanks for stopping by.

Affiknitty said...

Ooh, wow, your bag is really coming along. It's beautiful!

Vicki said...

wow that is a beautiful bag - i love the stripes. the cables are really cute xx

Liz in Ypsilanti said...

Those colors are so much fun to look at! As for the cabling: I think it's the most fun thing to do in knitting, once you get the hang of it (and I'm still very much a beginner).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails