Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday WIP

It's Wednesday again and I have a few things to share with you for my works in progress.  First, I bet you are wondering how that Gryffindor scarf is coming along.  Well, I am past the halfway mark and have 6 panels left to do.

I had to buy another skein of burgundy and that is starting to feel like it is quickly being used up.  I will probably buy a third skein today.  According to my calculations by weight, this scarf is probably going to use up something like 700 yards of yarn by the time I am done.  Wow!

Want a peak at the alpaca socks?

This the start.  I knitted a swatch but the knitting was looser on that than I typically knit the foot portion.  So I checked out a bunch of books on sock knitting from the library and found the one below to be very helpful:

It helped me to trouble shoot what was going on and what I could do so that the socks I knit in fingering weight will fit.  So remember all those stitches on the needles for the Alpaca socks?  They are coming off and I am going to knit them with a larger set of needles.  Tune in next week to see the progress.  By the way the yarn feels so soft.  Sort of like a baby bunny.

And something that  have been waiting months to show you is this:
A rainbow of cascade 220 wool.  What am I going to do with that rainbow of wool?  I am going to make a felted project bag so that I have something pretty to carry my knitting around in when I knit in public.  Yes, I am one of those people who knit everywhere.  4-H meetings, waiting rooms, the gym, the pool, you name it and if it means sitting down and not doing anything for a while, I will probably knit there. 

If you want to see more works in progress then check out Tami's blog.

10 comments:

Countess Ablaze said...

A gorgeous rainbow of colours!
Your Gryffindor scarf is knitting up so beautifully, and neat too.

Crystal Allen said...

Wow! Your Gryffindor scarf is beautiful and I can't wait to see your felted bag. I have 2 project bags as well, but I need more. Definitely have an issue with starting too many projects at once :P I've never made my own bag though, but I think it would be a lot of fun. Thanks for the inspiration!

Happy Hump Day!
<3 Crystal

Marushka C. said...

Project bags, like knitting projects, seem to multiply! Good luck with your socks -- Cookie A is definitely a good expert to consult.

Kathleen said...

I can't wait to see that project bag---just looking at the rainbow of wool makes me so happy!

Denise said...

The scarf is getting really big. I like the color of those alpaca socks. It's such a soft yarn to work with.

Looking forward to see the progress of your rainbow bag.

Affiknitty said...

Your knitting is so neat and tidy on that scarf, it looks blocked already! I'm looking forward to seeing your felted tote. (I have a fondness for rainbow colors) : )

autumngeisha said...

A felted project bag is a great idea for your colorful stash of cascade 220. Can't wait to see how it turns out. You can't go wrong with a sock book by Cookie A. She's a terrific designer. Good luck with those socks.

rachel said...

The Gryffindor looks wonderful! And I am in love with the color you're using for your alpaca socks. What yarn is it?

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks for stopping by and your wonderful comments.

The Alpaca yarn is called Alpaca with a Twist by Socrates.

Tami Klockau said...

The Gryffindor scarf is awesome! 700 yrds though, wow. That's a LOT. It is going to be one heavy scarf!

I love the rainbow colors you chose for the knitting project bag. I've been thinking of crocheting a bag for myself since I go to a crochet/knit group every other Tuesday. Right now I use a tote bag I got for free. Would be nice to show off a bag I actually made!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails