Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rhythm Changes

Rhythm changes over time.  Your daily tasks and flow is not the same today as it was three years ago.  This is because the needs and interests of your family changes over time.  Nothing is ever static.

Is this something to get stressed over?

No.  This is something to embrace.  You find your flow, your rhythm to your days and weeks.  Then you add or drop things as your interest change.

I've found that there are some things that do stay the same.  We enjoy going to the library on Mondays.  We keep mornings only for school and do outside activities after lunch and schoolwork is done.  I even request at Doctors and other places specific times for appointments.  I request afternoons only and tell them:   "Sorry, we homeschool and we must get our work done in the morning."   People seem to understand and find us appointments that work with our schedules.

I think rhythm and schedules work best when they are open to changes in flow.  If they are not then you end up feeling stressed when you don't need to.  But the big thing is that you have to take control and be the one in charge.  You may even have to tell others, "No, I can't do that."  It is hard to learn to say no but it really can help your sanity. 

So...Rhythm changes but you need to be in control of it.

1 comment:

Amanda, the Head Nut said...

That is what I need to hear, Christy! :) I have a hard time saying no. I have a harder time with doctors, dentist, vet, orthodontist, and hair appointments. They act like they can either get you in at an awful time the next day, or you can wait a week or more. How do you do it?
I would really love to have a rhythm, but I seem to come up against constant interruption, and I'm serious. It upsets me and the girls. I would love to discuss more how you do it the next time we visit.
Thanks for your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails