Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Organizing and Knitting Socks

I had some questions on knitting socks.  So I thought I would do a post on how I organize, pick patterns and knit socks.

How do you keep track of your socks yarn?

I use Ravelry to keep track of all my yarns.  I am able to take a picture and type in the important information about the yarn.  Also, I can link it to the pattern that I want to use it for.  This really helps me to remember what's what. 

As for physical storage, I use plastic boxes.  Each type of yarn has its own box and the projects that are in progress are kept in bags that I can easily take along with me.  Here is a picture of my sock box:
You can see all my yarns and even my double pointed needles.  A project that I will be working on in the near future is storage for those double points.
How do you keep track of your patterns?

Again, I use Ravelry to find patterns and mark those that I am interested in as something I like.  Ravelry also has a "library" to keep your ravelry downloads and keep track of books and magazines that you own.  For patterns I have printed out, I keep them in a binder.  Here is my binder for sock and mitten patterns:

I keep reference material in the front and then sticky tab the patterns with their names so that I know when a new pattern begins.  This has really helped me to keep track of which pattern is what.  I often print out patterns so that I can read them to see if it is something I really want to do.

How do you keep your patterns organized while you work on a project?

I keep the project in a bag and the pattern in a file folder.  The file folder has the pattern, notes, a sharp pencil and my extra needles.  The folder:

It is nice and handy and the pencil is always there and ready to use to keep track of stitch patterns and where I am at.

Why do you knit both socks at the same time?

When I learned to knit socks, I had heard from several people about second sock syndrome.  This is where you make the first sock and never got the second one finished.  I knew that I was a candidate for that so I have created a system to follow so that both socks would be finished about the same time.  This also allows me to double check measurements and make the socks the same size in all parts.

This is my system:

sock 1--knit cuff
sock 2--knit cuff & heel flap
sock 1--knit heel flap, turn & gusset
sock 2--knit heel turn, gusset & foot
sock 1--knit foot & finish
sock 2--finish

By doing this, I can easily compare sizes of the different parts as I make them and they both finish within hours of each other.

I hope you find this helpful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails