Wednesday, November 24, 2010

WIP Wednesday

A major influence for me in knitting is this book:

She is so witty and tells such a nice story.  It is a book that I would like to own and work my way through.  But one of her ideas was to have 2 knitting projects going at a time.  One that is easy to do and take with you.  Right now that is my fall hat project:
It is a simple, knit 3 purl 3 pattern that is done in the round.  Now that all the increases are done and the knitting is loosened up, it is fairly easy to just sit and let my fingers fly.

She also talked about having a more complicated project going.  One that you needed to concentrate on, maybe have a checklist handy and even needed everything to be quiet around you.  That is my Lorna's Laces yellowstone socks:

These would have been an easy project if I would have stuck with the initial 2 by 2 ribbing.  But I decided that I wanted pretty lacy socks and went with the simple ribbed lace.  The pattern for this is:

row 1--p1 k2tog yo p1
row 2--p1 k2 p1
row 3--p1 yo ssk p1
row 4--p1 k2 p1

Rows 1, 2, and 4 aren't bad but those slip slip knits give me fits.  I think they will be really pretty when I am done though.  The yarn and the colors are so delicate that I thought a nice lace pattern would make them stand out.

How's your projects going?

7 comments:

Sara said...

I love the colors in the hat. The socks are going to be very pretty!

mutantsupermodel said...

I also try and aim for the two projects at once concept: easy and portable, complicated and stationary. it keeps me interested in both because they require different things and I don't feel guilty when I'm working on one and not the other. I can't do a big project on the train and if I don't work on a small project, I'm just wasting valuable crochet time! So I try and make sure I stick to it. During the holidays, it's harder because many of my gifts are small but I'm still trying to stay with the structure.

Liz in Ypsilanti said...

Those socks are already SO pretty. Your extra efforts will make them that much more special.

Denise said...

Just 2 projects? *giggles* I think I would doing good if I had just 2 types of projects, or many 2 crafts. If you could peep into my WIP totes your mind would boggle.

Love your socks. Your hat is pretty and looks like it will keep your quite warm.

autumngeisha said...

That is one of my favorite knitting how-to books. She even makes knitted button holes amusing! I really like your colors for the hat.

Tami Klockau said...

I'll definitely put this book on my list! Thank you for the recommendation. Love both projects you're working on. It's nice to have several projects going where you can balance your time!

pentalia said...

Love those fall colors in your hat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails