Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WIP Wednesday

You know last week, I did the cuffs and heel flaps for both socks and then had plenty of time on Thursday and Friday to work on my purse.  I am at just over the 1/2 way mark on the body of my purse but you can see how the colors go from dark to light to dark again.  Here is a picture:

It is at just over 7 inches tall right now.  When it is all felted and finished it will be around 11 by 11 inches.  I think the colors are coming out in an interesting pattern.  The dark blues are striped, the med slant one way and the light slant the other direction so we have a bit of a zig-zag going on.  I may have to make tassels for the handles or something just to give it that extra craziness.  It will be a really fun purse to carry with me everywhere in the winter.

Now for my socks.  I learned how to knit short row and trust the pattern.  I did the heel turn and the gusset and part of the foot but that first sock was so holey and didn't seem so sturdy.  So I ripped it all out.  The second sock, I ripped back to the ribbing and redid the heel flap in something called "eye of partridge."  Here is a picture of the heel flap:
Isn't it pretty.  It lays flatter and I guess it is a more sturdy pattern.  I did the heel turn:

Nice tight knitting now.  The elastic in this yarn gives it plenty of pull so it isn't too tight.  I am presently working on the body of this sock in hopes of getting the toe decline started today.  Then tomorrow, I can get the other sock going.  I would like to have both ready for the Kitchener stitch on Saturday but that may not happen.  I will probably finish the second sock next week.  So here is my sock so far:


I think I like making socks even though they are scary in parts, boring in parts and take more time than making a bag or a hat. 

But knitting in general, seems to be the handwork project that best suits me for staying calm and centered.

9 comments:

Kara said...

Your projects are looking great! I really like the way that yarn on the purse is striping (and the zigzags, like you said - neat!)

And, look at you with the sock knitting! Fantastic! I love that eye of partridge - I'm going to have to remember that.

Would you believe I have never finished a pair of socks? I always suffer from second sock syndrome and can't seem to make myself go back and do the same thing all over again. ;-)

I'm excited to follow along and see how your projects turn out.

Best wishes!

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks. I always enjoy your blog too.

Tami Klockau said...

Both projects are turning out great! I love the colors of each yarn and can't wait to see them finished! I'm currently working on my first pair of socks and can't wait to finish them!

Thanks for joining in on WIPW

Marushka C. said...

Your bag is going to be so pretty! I agree with you about sock knitting -- partly boring, partly complicated. Each pair gets much easier though and I do love wearing them!

Denise said...

That's a very nice looking heel. I like the yarn for your bag.

SweetPotato said...

Great pattern on the socks!

I hope you post a picture of the purse when it's finished!

Eva said...

Do you have a special sock knitting book you could recommend for children?

Affiknitty said...

You have some beautiful projects! That is an interesting sock heel, I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for sharing.

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks all. I will post before and after felting pictures of the bag. I love those.

Eva, this is my first pair of socks and I am using a handout from my local yarn shop that I can't find on Ravelry. There are lots of wonderful patterns on Ravelry for free.

By the way my older daughter's feet are as big as mine although skinnier so I am using an adult pattern. I would think children's socks would be easier since their feet are smaller.

Wish I could help.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails