Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Using Days of the Week to Organize your Time

One thing that helps keep me in my rhythm is to organize my time/things to do by the days of the week.  I know I've talked about this a lot in the past or alluded to it.  But let me share with you why this works.  It works for me because:

1.  I don't feel like I have to do everything at one time.
2.  The work/chores is divided up in manageable pieces.
3.  I can schedule days for just staying home (as an introvert I need this to recharge).
4.  It works.

Here is what I do:

Monday--school, errands, library
Tuesday--school, trash (the garbage truck comes on Wed.), bathroom, 4-H (2 times a month), Karate
Wednesday--school, baths, living room, kitchen
Thursday--school, grocery shopping, Karate
Friday--bills, errands, playgroup, family movie night
Saturday--bedrooms, touch up other spaces, laundry washing, family outing/large project
Sunday--church, coupons, baths, fold & put away laundry

How did I figure out what to put on each day?

Some of it has been trial and error.  A lot of it developed over time.  Here are some of the reasons for certain days for certain tasks.

trash--I do trash and the bathroom, also I clean out the fridge on Tuesday because the garbage truck comes on Wednesday.

library--I used to do this on Fridays.  But by doing it on a Monday, I figured out it is quieter in the library, there is a better selection because of all the books returned over the weekend.  And if they are closed on a Monday, it isn't that big of a deal to go on Tuesday.  Saturdays are hard for us to find time to get there.

living room/kitchen--I do these on Wednesdays because this is our at home day.  These are big rooms with lots to clean and I want plenty of time to finish these jobs and still have time for myself.

grocery shopping--I like to do this the day before playdate so that we have a nice fresh healthy lunch.  When winter comes and we eat at home, I will probably move this back to Sundays and stay home on Thursdays. 

So if you are thinking about doing something like this, you will need to figure out what is going to work best for you and your family.  You will need to ask yourself questions like these:

What do we have to do that is at a set date & time?
How can I work around that?
When is trash day?  What do I need to have done for that?
When do we like to go to the library?
When do I like to go shopping best?
How many days would we like to stay home each week?
How many activities do we really need to do?

Once you start with Days of the Week time management, you may have little problem days as you adjust.  You may also find that you need to move things around if you have an appointment, an illness or something come up. 

When we are ill, the basics get done like wiping down counters, cleaning litterboxes and getting laundry washed/dried.  But not the deeper cleaning things like putting laundry away or decluttering.  Also, sometimes, I have to move tasks to other days because of doctor's appointments or field trips or other fun stuff.

Give it time and it can work for you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails