Thursday, September 2, 2010

Grade 5 Weekly Report

A different child this week.  She was pleasant most of the week and did a good job.  I think she really enjoyed learning about weather and clouds.  Here are some clouds we drew:
I have stockmar stick crayons on order and I am hoping that will help with visibility problems on our notebooking pages.  Anyone have other ideas for this?

I had shelved our reading comprehension books because I didn't have answer keys.  Now I do, and so I started having her do 2 stories a week out of these:


She is working in book A and they are very good.  I think they will help with reading comprehension and later test-taking skills.

Language arts and Scott-Foresman went well and she worked with complete and incomplete sentences.  Spelling was all about multi-letter phonograms and their sounds.  She really likes the following directions activities so I may get the other two books in the series.  This was this week's activity:
Pretty butterflies to go with all the beautiful ones outside our windows.

In math, she worked on long division and fractions.  I am so happy with the progress she has made using Rod and Staff.  I ended up selling off all of our Singapore materials because we kept hitting walls with it.  We've been using Rod and Staff for about a year now and it is just such a solid program, I don't know why it isn't used more.  It's probably the whole boring drill thing--but you can work around that and make it fun and interesting.

Overall, it was a good week and I know she is happy that we have vacation next week.

6 comments:

Smrt Mama said...

Where do our good children go on those crabby weeks? I swear, sometimes it's like my kids have been replaced by the Folger's Crystals of Evil, and other times, they're just so willing to buckle down and work hard. Glad this was one of the GOOD weeks for you!

Daisy said...

We have returned to R&S also! My daughter just didn't retain anything with Singapore. She is now back in R&S and doing much better. I'm glad to hear of someone else using it with success.

Robyn said...

Looks like a great week! Isn't it great to find a program that just works well? I've been known to cry at the end of some of the kids' books too... I could barely make it through a Little House Chapter book where Jack died! :-o

Tonia said...

Looks like a great week for your fifth grader too! We just studied butterflies this week too - lots of fun. Have a nice vacation!

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks.

Mandy in TN said...

Sounds like a great week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails