Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fifth Grade Weekly Report

We are struggling through the process of writing paragraphs but I think we are getting there.  She whines a lot when I have her write but it is such an important skill and one that she needs to do more of.  She did a really nice job with her trip project.  There was so much to do in Louisville and she decided to do all the rides:  bi-plane, riverboat and train.

Sounds like fun?

In math, we worked on decimal work.  I am looking at adding in lessons from A Little Garden Flower so that she really understands decimals.  The big problem I have is that we go over material but she doesn't pay attention and then when she gets to the work she doesn't know what she is supposed to do.  We are working on that. 

She finished up her lapbook on reptiles:

In science she learned about tissues in the body and took fingerprints of the family and found the pattern.  We are both arches, her dad is a spiral and her sister is a combo of the two sort of a spiraling arch.

She is also working on a quilt block for 4-H:

I think she is doing very well with it.  She hates sewing and doesn't do well with a lot of handcrafts.  It was another week of moving forward.

7 comments:

Amanda, the Head Nut said...

I listened to one of the podcasts at homeschool.com, but I'm not sure which one. It used a football analogy.

You might not make a touchdown with every play, but are you moving down the field? That's what matters. :)

Just like you said, it was another week of moving forward. Keep up the good work!

Robyn said...

Sounds like a bit of a rough week in 5th grade, but like you said... progress is being made! That's always good! I like the quilt squares. I enjoy seeing the travel project progress as well!

Daisy said...

The quilting squares look like fun, and I love the idea of fingerprinting everyone. Sounds like a great week (even with the horrors of having to write. LOL).

Firefly said...

Love the quilt squares! I'd love DD to try something like this, but like yours she's not keen on sewing. Someday...!

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks. I am happy with progress. And the quilting is going better. She says she likes to do it better on the couch than at a table.

Mandy in TN said...

We may need to do a travel journal in the spring. It looks like something that would really get a child researching and writing!

Sarah said...

My 5th grader whines about writing assignments too. I have seen a little improvement in his attitude and his writing for the last couple weeks so I'm hoping that continues. Good luck.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails