Friday, September 3, 2010

Comparing Yourself to Others

Comparisons can be damaging to your self-esteem and your piece of mind.  When they had the blog hop with the schoolrooms, I got so jealous of all those nice, tidy, coordinated schoolrooms.  I so wish I had a school room but I don't.  I have a nice living area that serves a dual purpose and most of my stuff is repurposed so it isn't coordinated.

I have a friend whose children are further ahead and do more than mine do.  Some times this makes me wonder if I am too easy.

And the list could go on.

It is so hard not to compare and go down the path of inadequacy.  But that is a bad place to be.

Instead, I try to find the positives about my life and what we do and how it works for us.  I use the ideas that others have to find ways to make things work better for us.  And I accept who we are and what we do as what is right for us.

I am organized.  I am creative.  And I love teaching my children.  I have no need to compare what I do to others.  And neither do you.  Use the ideas and do what works with your children. Trust your instincts and do what is best for your family.  That is all you can do.  Accept that where you are at is the best place for you and your family.

Be happy.  Be content.  And enjoy your life for all the good and bad that comes with it.  Without the struggles and the bad days we wouldn't appreciate the good days and the triumphs quite so much.

4 comments:

Kara said...

"Be happy. Be content. And enjoy your life for all the good and bad that comes with it."

Very well said.

Daisy said...

This is a great post! You are perfect for YOUR children and that is what it is all about.

Leah @ A Butterfly In My Stomach said...

I too get upset when I see how "great" everyone else is doing and I start looking at my short comings. BUT I am trying my best and my kids are learning and doing great. I know not to compare myself with others, but I ALWAYS fall into that trap...Thanks for the post!

Mandy in TN said...

"Be happy. Be content. And enjoy your life for all the good and bad that comes with it." This is so true, but then sometime someone else's curriculum looks so cool ;-)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails