Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Workboxes Now

We started using workboxes just over a year ago and during that time, I tried several different types:  file folders in crates, boxes and wheeled drawer cart.  We love the 6 drawer cart with wheels. 



Over time, I 've also discovered that workboxes that are dedicated to subjects work the best for us.  So for each grade I have 6 drawers.  And they are labeled:

language arts
phonics or spelling
science
history or social studies
math
project

A close-up of the rainbow labels:


Within each drawer, I keep the supplies we need that week for that subject.  So for math all the manipulatives that we will use that week or might use are in the drawer.  Here is the 5th grade science drawer:

There is her text from Oak Meadow, a collection of library books, 3-part cards on cloud types, a notebooking page she made on cloud types and the 4-H project book for weather.  She has decided not to do the 4-H project.

I like this method in that it keeps me organized and school running smoothly.  With everything together we are able to accomplish quite a bit in a short amount of time since I am not running around frantic trying to find all the supplies, tie-in and various other things we need to do our work for the day.

6 comments:

Theresa said...

This is our first year of homeschooling and I keep reading about how awesome workboxes are...I just have to find a place for them...but I think they would be a great asset...especially after reading your post!

I love all your tips on staying organized!

I am your newest follower!

Eva said...

I've always wondered about workboxes. Do you have enough room in the boxes for all the supplies your children need for each subject?

CloseAcademy said...

Yes, the workbox drawers have plenty of room for the texts and other materials we generally need. Each child also has an art box that has all their school supplies.

Thanks for stopping by.

Eva said...

Could you tell me how big they are?
Thanks!

CloseAcademy said...

I picked these up at Aldi's last spring. They are 26 inches high by 12 inches wide and 14 inches deep.

You can find comparable ones like the ones with the rainbow drawers at JoAnns and other places. I wanted those ones.

I hope you find some that work for you.

Eva said...

Thank you for the dimensions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails