Thursday, August 26, 2010

Weekly Report: Second Grade

I started working with her this week with the Scott Foresman grammar and composition worksheets.  She worked on ideas and putting things in order.  She also did work with contractions.

With our word chart, I typed up contractions and the words that make them.  I put the words that make contractions on the chart and had her match the contractions.  She enjoyed this activity.


She also got to play apple contractions where she matched the words to the apples which had contractions on them.  This was a more difficult activity.

As a part of our main lesson each day, I read poetry.  We have been reading A Child's Garden of  Verse, but have decided to take a break from it to read this book:


It is a cute book of poetry all about Toots the cat.  We've enjoyed it so far this week.

She worked on the 6 tables this week with me but she is working on subtration within 9 in her Rod and Staff workbook.  She is also working on 2-digit subtraction without regrouping.  

It was a nice week and she enjoyed the story about the seeing-eye dog and the activities in her 4-H wildlife project book.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I like the activities for teaching about contractions. We will definitely have to give it a try here, because we have touched on contractions, but not tackled them in depth.

CloseAcademy said...

I'm glad you liked them. She enjoyed them.

Mandy in TN said...

Wow, you put a lot of work into those contraction activities!

Norah said...

Thanks for the link for the grammar and writing! I will be using it.

Smrt Mama said...

I'm in such awe of your organization and all the great materials you've put together. Sometimes I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

CloseAcademy said...

Thanks. I found the file-folder game online a couple of years ago when I discovered them and made one for every topic I could find one on. We use it every time someone does contraction work.

The other activity was something I just typed up and printed out quickly then cut into squares with my paper cutter.

As for organization, I love to research and so I research topics that we study and find resources. More than we can use actually.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails