Friday, July 2, 2010

Weekly Report Fifth Grade

After her bad third grade year and a year of healing, my fifth grader is finally starting to put her heart back into her work. She is no longer just plodding through but she is becoming interested in learning again. This is one of the main reasons I switched to Oak Meadow and started incorporating more Waldorf because I want her to be a life-long learner. I don't want her to just skate through life disconnected from the process.

She had a good week and we worked well together.

This is a page we made for lone, alone and one for spelling. It explains why one is spelled the way it is spelled. Both children are enjoying me bringing out the block crayons to make colorful marbled background for their work.

This is the page she made for the phonogram "ey." She also made one for "tch." On this one she drew they as the Kids Next Door and then she drew a cute monkey. There is a third sound for ey but we don't use it in our region. She really enjoyed making these pictures.

I made this page for her notebook on the sun. She is studying astronomy in science right now and so I drew a picture of the sun while I talked to her and wrote down the important facts. I am going to have her do something similar with each of the planets.
We had a pretty good week. She didn't complain as much about math and is actually starting to listen to me again when I explain things. She doesn't care for vocabulary but it is an important skill so I am sticking with it for a while.
We talked about her choices on books to read over the next month or so. I showed her the book, "Children of the Wild West" and told her about D'Aulaire's Norse Myths. She chose the Norse myth book. She has been wanting input that includes adventure and battles of good verses bad and I am hoping the Norse myths come through for her and that she is able to disengage a bit from certain TV shows.
How was your week?


1 comment:

Robyn said...

I don't envy you trying to correct "issues" from the past. Sounds like you are doing a marvelous job of bringing out your dd's love of learning again! WTG Mom!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails