Saturday, July 3, 2010

Head, Heart and Hands

I'm reading this book right now:



And the thing that is making its biggest impression on me is the idea of "head, heart and hands."

What do I mean by this?

That to engage a child's brain they need to feel something toward what they are learning (interest, like, love, etc.) and to get them to feel something you often have to engage them through using their hands or doing something. Basically, learning works best when it engages the whole child.

I have seen this happen a lot in our homeschool. When I am doing more of a textbook/workbook style my children don't like school, they don't want to learn, they are bored, they fight me about doing work, I feel like we are just running through our paces and we just don't have any fun and I don't feel like we are getting anywhere.

When I move toward a more Waldorf-inspired education and more hands-on learning where we are doing projects and I am telling stories and we are making pictures to show what they are learning then they enjoy school, we have fun, I see light bulbs go off in their heads, and it is all good.

So this is what I am finding:

hands-on projects such as crafts/lapbooks/art = engaging the hands

being creative and learning through stories = they care about what we are learning

caring about learning and what they make = things click, they take ownership of their education

Head, Heart and Hands they all need to be engaged in the learning process.

2 comments:

Amanda, the Head Nut said...

I'm going to have to get this book at our library, too. Isn't it funny how we evolve as teachers to meet the needs of our children? It just feels like the right thing to do.

CloseAcademy said...

There are some really neat ideas in the book that I am thinking of adding to my storehouse of stories, pictures and ideas to pull out when we get to certain concepts.

I knew this is what I always wanted to do with my children but I got side-tracked with other methods and materials. I'm glad I've found my place again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails