Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday Morning

We had a good start this morning. Listening to the podcasts from The Waldorf Connection and A Little Garden Flower has helped me feel better about myself, my children, our lives and our homeschool.

My oldest was having trouble with the difference between tenths and hundredths converting them from fractions to decimals and vice-versa so I went back to the place value rainbow idea. First, I drew her attention to the "Hotel Denouement" and the reflecting pond in our read aloud, "The Penultimate Peril," and then I told her that the place value rainbow has a reflection as well. The main rainbow has whole numbers but the reflection is just a partial since it leaves out the red of the rainbow so it is partial numbers like fractions, decimals and percents. Here is a picture:


I think that it will help her keep her tenths, hundredths and thousandths straight.

For my youngest the high point this morning was also math. I picked up A Little Garden Flower's Math Lessons this weekend and we started a review of our math gnomes. She liked this. We are going to review the 4 operations and then start into our times table work.

My youngest also read a paragraph from a Pony Pals books. My oldest enjoyed the readings on ancient astronomy and will be making a sun dial this week.

We also started a new checklist system for things that need to be done by the children. I was tired of yelling, nagging, threatening and reminding them to do things. I noticed that the checklist system was working for my oldest and her independent work so I started one for chores.

Each child has a list on their bulletin board. I write things down and give them a general time limit such as L for lunch or D for dinnertime. Some things have monetary value and I write down the amount as well. I notify them that they have jobs and what they are and let them do it as they see fit. I give 1 warning near the end of the time limit. If I have to remind them after the time limit then they don't get paid for that job.

It is working very well and they are eager to do more around the house and earn more money. This is making things easier on me because I don't have to remind them constantly to do things so I am more relaxed. Plus I don't have to do as much.

So we are having a good start to the week and I look forward to the rest of the days and all the fun things we have planned. How was your Monday?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails