Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How Our Nature Study Became a Meal

For nature study this week, my husband went fishing. And caught these. They are crappie, bass and blue gill. My girls enjoyed watching them flop around in the sink and asked a ton of questions.

When my husband filleted the fish, the girls got to find out which ones were girls and which were boys. This one is a girl. The yellow thing is an egg sac. He also showed them the heart, liver and even opened up the stomachs to see what the fish had eaten. One had two minnows in its stomach.


At the end, we mixed corn meal and flour and fried them up into a nice meal. When they are this fresh, they just melt in your mouth. The meat is so creamy and light.
In science we have been studying consumers/producers, food webs and who eats who. Today's nature study reinforced these lessons. We were able to put together a food chain that included minnows, fish and humans. It was a lot of fun and the girls enjoyed it a lot.




2 comments:

Betty said...

I love how your nature study became your meal. GREAT!

Thanks for adding my button. You can add your link by clicking on the bold text at the bottom of my post. I am looking for a better linky tool. ;)

Amanda, the Head Nut said...

I love it when children (especially girls) aren't grossed out by this. We do the same thing during deer season, turkey season, and when we get a chance to fish. I think it's great to know where food really comes from. Keep up the good work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails