Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Writing Phobias

I have a child who is writing phobic due to the fact that she is afraid that she will spell words wrong. But she needs to do more writing. So how am I dealing with this issue without lots of stress?

1. Lapbooks
I give her a lapbook piece and the page that has the information she needs for that piece and have her copy the information.

2. Copwork
She is writing but not always composing while she writes. She will dictate her compositions to me and then copy them into her own handwriting.

3. Word lists
I have found word lists online where words are grouped according to a common subject. I also typed up a list of commonly used words. Now I can give her the two sheets of paper and she can write on her own and not have to worry about spelling.

Where can you find the word lists?

I have a bundled of laminated ones I bought from a retired teacher but I have found them online as well. Here's some links:

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/Free-Downloads_ep_35-1.html They call them central theme stories

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/wordlist/ This is a site you have to pay to use or you have to print off all the ads. There are great lists here.

I can't find the site I printed my lists off of but these are the themes I have:

books, emotion, family, sports, play, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, pizza, Easter, clock, St. Patrick's Day, Thanksgiving, baby, Christmas, mail, bedtime, caterpillar, mouse in the teapot, cooking, snacktime, lion and the mouse, kangaroo vacation, race, lunch, lullaby, dragon/dinosaur, puppy, underwater adventure, trash, garden, farm animals on the run, presents, and turtle.

The core word list I made for my children includes: articles, conjunctions, pronouns, helping verbs, color, shape, size, texture, sight, taste, sound and smelling words. I also added a note to ask: Who? What? Where? When? Why? and How? And to think about touch, taste, smell, sight and hearing.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails