Thursday, March 25, 2010

Weekly Report March 26, 2010

It was back to school this week. I think by next week we will be better adjusted to the time change and school will be back to normal. We did things oddly this week and rather out of order due to the fact that our bodies are not adjusted yet.

I did some thinking over the break and over the course of the week. Here is what I have decided:

1. To put Latin on hold for a little longer and that when we start up again start from the beginning.

2. That I need to do something about math with my oldest. She is not ready to move on in Singapore 4a but I don't know what else to do with her while we wait until she is ready. We are doing review work in Rod and Staff 4 but I think that she needs some instructional time as well as working on review. Maybe I should step up the review to twice as much until she is ready to move on? Any ideas? I can just continue with Challenging Word Problems 4 but she has a hard time with them.

3. My youngest is not ready for the rest of the work in Singapore 1a but I did get a download of Miquon Orange for free and we may just play with that until she is ready to do the addition and subtraction work within 20. I may alternate the two weekly as well and have her use the base 10 set to do the work or the gems and place value rainbow. I don't know.

4. We are making slow progress in reading with my youngest but I think that she is just memorizing the words for the book and the promptly forgetting them. So I am going to add Spell to Write and Read back in and work intensely with phonics. We may not read for a while but build words and perhaps make our own readers instead.

5. My youngest wants more ancient Egypt so we are going to tour the kings and pharaohs of Egypt. Each ruler will get their own notebooking page of who they are, when they ruled and what's important about them. She seems to like this idea.

6. For my oldest in history, we have decided to skip ahead to the Revolutionary War and George Washington and start our study of the Presidents of the Untied States. Each president will have their own page in her notebook. Colonial history was a real bust for her.

Well, that is where we are at after the break. Everything else is working fine and we are happy with our progress. How was your week?

5 comments:

Laughing Lioness said...

Sounds like a good week. My 7 yo sounds like your little one. I've been having her read graded readers every day. She can pick easy ones, too, so that she feels a sense of mastery. It's getting better = ).

Tina said...

Hang in there with the phonics and reading. It takes a long time before you feel like it's done!

Keep up with the RS math and spend the summer playing some games. AFter you finish Singapore 4B, I suggest Life of Fred. It has changed our world over here...from math struggle to joy. We also did Singapore with RS and the RS really helped reinforce, now that we feel strong, LoF has simply blessed our socks off!

Can't wait for you to get to Hawaii! What a wonderful plan!

WildIris said...

My 7-year-old (in two weeks) had some problem with reading and spelling. I sound like a broken record, but I picked up Adventures in Phonics, continued daily reading in graded readers, and her reading has improved. I was surprised how much she improved when she read a story I though she would stumble through. With little ones it is hard to find the right balance because each has their own learning pattern.

HeatherLee said...

What are you using for notebooking the presidents?

MissMOE said...

Sounds like you are adjust well to the time difference. You may want to back up a level with the challenging problems. Thanks for sharing your week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails