Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More Ancient Egypt

So the rabbit trail continues. We've done the lapbooks, a few projects, listened to a book, read books, now what is there?

Documentaries! The science channel had all sorts of them on last night about ancient Egypt. I've been scanning through the On-Demand and channel guides fairly regularly to see if there are any new ones on. Or even old ones.

Movies! We've watched "The Mummy," "The Mummy Returns," and now I have "The Scorpion King" waiting for us to watch this afternoon. I've also tracked down a list of movies set in or around ancient Egypt. The one that I really want to find is called "The Egyptian" made in 1954 by 20th Century Fox. Here is the link:



I've seen it a few times and it is really good and based on a letter to a son that was found on a papyrus. But I guess you can't find it in the states. We'll have to wait and see if one of the classic movie channels has it on again.

Drawing! With various books found in the library.

Pharaoh study! I have found a list of pharaohs and we are going through Wikipedia and learning about them. I thought we could make a notebooking page for each of them with pictures and a few facts. We will do this as long as she is interested. We are starting with Ka, the Scorpion King and Narmer.

Hieroglyphics! She really wants to learn to read these. I'm a bit lost but I did print some material out on how to learn them. We will play some.

So the rabbit trail goes on and she is still having fun with it all even after two months of study.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

And don't forget "Yu-Gi-Oh!" LOL They're always talking about the Pharaoh's past life. :-D

CloseAcademy said...

They have yet to discover Yu-Gi-Oh. My girls are really picky about what they watch and if it doesn't have enough girls they won't watch it. Lol.

Wendy said...

LOL!!! I remember when I was younger, "She-Ra" was my thing. And I always loved Scarlett in "G.I. Joe".

Come to think of it, there don't seem to be a heck of alot of movies or TV shows out there, geared toward children, about ancient Egypt.

CloseAcademy said...

I know and my youngest daughter is really obssessed with it right now. She wants to not only have an Ancient Egypt birthday party but have everyone come in costume as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails