Thursday, February 4, 2010

Weekly Report February 4, 2010

It was another week of progress. And progress is good. I spent some time really going through our materials from Oak Meadow writing up long term lesson plans so I could get a good look at the big picture. I am really happy with the materials. The 2nd grade stuff is great and is a good fit for my youngest. I also think that the 5th grade science is excellent and will be a lot of fun once we get to the meat of the program.

We learned how to do school around a bunny this week. She likes to cuddle up with my oldest while she does school work. Sometimes she just likes to take naps while we work. So basically, a house rabbit has not been a distraction but almost a soothing presence.

So what have we accomplished? What kind of progress have we made?

I figured out that my youngest does best at reading if we don't jump from level 1 to 2 to 1 books. She does best if we stick to books written at one level and do a slow gradual increase in material. The Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt book was too hard for her and when we went to a very easy book she had forgotten how to read a lot of words again. I think this is a lesson learned for me. Level 1 and easy level 2 books for now until she has all those little words under her belt and is ready to move on.

My oldest is getting comfortable doing more writing on her own. Her lapbook is coming along beautifully. She has learned how to read a passage and then find the answers to her questions by scanning back through the passage.

I do see a light at the end of the tunnel with my oldest and moving on with math. Her multiplication/division skills are sharpening and within a month or so we should be back on track with Singapore although I am still going to have her do review work from Rod and Staff.

My youngest has done well this week with working with tens and ones within 40. She seems to understand the numbers. I brought the base 10 kit back out and I think that this will help especially once we start working on addition and subtraction within 40. We've also been working hard on counting by 2's.

We are still waiting on The Vile Village. But we have hopes of picking it up on Monday. Overall, we had a good week. How was your week?

10 comments:

Kash said...

Sounds like a good week! I think my kids would be too distracted by a bunny. :)

G said...

What a good week! I am glad you have foud curriculum materials that really suit your kids, and schooling with a bunny to cuddle sounds fun!

Parrothead said...

Aww a bunny! I don't think anything would have been accomplished in our house if we had a bunny. I'm glad you were able to keep focused.

Moonbeam said...

So glad that having a bunny has been soothing and not a distraction. It's always good when everyone finds their niche.

Mandy in TN said...

Cute bunny! I would be getting really irritated over that book about now!

Karen said...

aww - my girls want bunnies, but we have a dog with a strong hunting instinct I just can't see it. Your week looks terrific and you got to learn something too. Keep up the wonderful work.

CloseAcademy said...

We really enjoy our bunny. Rabbits and dogs don't always get along but they do fine with cats.

And yes, I am irritated that our book isn't in yet.

MissMOE said...

Thanks for sharing your week! Your cats are fine with the rabbit? I would like guinea pigs but worry about the cats thinking they are prey. Hmmm, maybe a rabbit would be better?

CloseAcademy said...

Cats tend to be wary of rabbits because they are the same size and rabbits are more agressive than cats. They get along because their social structures are so different that the rabbits generally start to boss the cats around.

Kysha said...

Great week! How cute to school with bunny. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails