Saturday, February 27, 2010

School Work Binders

Last year, I started organizing my children's work into binders because I thought it would keep notebooking pages and lapbooks organized so that my children could look at what they have done. Each child has their own binder that is divided into subject sections.

I include lapbooks, notebooking pages, information sheets, writing and project papers.

For 1st grade, the binder included:

Grammar
Phonics
Math
Social Studies
Science
Art
Lapbooks

For 2nd grade:

Language
Phonics
Math
Science & Social Studies
Lapbook

With a boxed curriculum, I was able to slim down the subject divisions of her binder.

For 3rd grade:

Spelling
Grammar
Composition
Math
History
Science
Art
Lapbooks
Latin

For 4th grade:

Grammar
History
Science
Spelling
Lapbooks
Math
Copywork
Latin

The divisions change as what we are doing change. I really like the binder system because it keeps all their finished pages nice and orderly. At the end of this year, I am going to take all the grammar and spelling notebook pages that my oldest made and bind them into her own guides for grammar and spelling. I plan on doing this with my youngest's math pages.

They do like have the binders to look through and I think that it can be a valuable tool when it comes to review. Often the children will bring them out and show visitors what they have been doing and in doing so they go over the material again. My children also just like to sit and look at the books.

How do you organize your children's completed work?

1 comment:

Erin J said...

I am what you call a file folder, file box, binder Queen. We started out in Preschool with file folders for each quarter, then last year we switched to those cardboard file boxes, now this year has been the most organized because we started using the binders. I truly believe it has been the best at keeping things in order by quarters and subject. We have history/ georgraphy combined in a binder and music/ art in the same binder cause we tend to study them interchangably or together. Maybe I should post some pics of our notebooks. Do you have any pics?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails