Thursday, January 28, 2010

Weekly Report January 28, 2010

It was a fairly good week with a little attitude. I've added some things and stopped doing others. Here's a run-down of what we are doing and how things are working.

Reading is going well. Between easy readers and working with the Oak Meadow word families we are making progress. Now that we are done introducing these, we are going to spend more time on reading the words and writing sentences at least twice a week using the words.

Second grade math is going OK. I added the Rod and Staff workbook back in. We are working on 9, 2, and 11. She is doing well with this concept. Basically, we are using Singapore to teach a lesson and Rod and Staff is review work.

I've decided to drop Life of Fred fractions. I know we are only 5 lessons in but I don't think she was really getting anything from the book. We will keep it for her to read through again later and it might work better with my younger child when it is time. Instead she is doing review work from Rod and Staff and we are working on the word problems in Singapore math that she didn't do the first time around. I am hoping that sometime in March she will be ready to move on in Singapore 4a. But we will see. She is also making progress.

The lapbooks are all coming along fine. My oldest grumbles a little about doing the reading and writing for herself but she is doing a great job and I think she will be happy with the finished product since it will be fully her own work. My youngest is enjoying Egypt and the horse lapbooks. She is learning a lot. We are also reading books about Ancient Egypt at bedtime.

It has been a disappointment that we are still waiting on a copy of The Vile Village. We are waiting rather impatiently for the book to come in. We tried the CD form but it wouldn't play on either CD player and stopped part way through chapter one on our computer. Instead we have been reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as well as Jolly Robin's stories which are rather funny.

My oldest tried her hand at home row typing this week and did well. She is also continuing to make progress in spelling. We started the unit on Verbs and she is doing well with that as well. I am thinking that we will follow up this unit with one on writing sentences.

Since dropping Life of Fred from the line-up we will be alternating history and science. So there will be a day of reading and a day of experimenting for science. And with history there will be a day of reading and a day for projects. I think that this will not be too overwhelming and will give us plenty of time to explore topics.

We also had playgroup on Friday and on Tuesday we had 4-H. The children made signs so that they could collect school supplies for a local charity whose stockpile burned in a Christmas fire along with the offices of about 25 local agencies.

I think we had a good week. How was yours?

11 comments:

Our Westmoreland School said...

Just when I started to look into Life of Fred! Shew, I needed another book like I need another hole in my head ;)

It will be nice to have all the extra time for projects and experiments. It sounds like a good week was had by all.

CloseAcademy said...

My daughter is a very visual learner and I think that Life of Fred appeals to children who learn by reading or by listening. It is a fun story though and we may just read the story and not worry about doing the math. Lol.

homemama said...

Sounds like a good week! I like your idea of how you alternate science and history...we might try that at our house as well. :)

Daisy said...

Sounds like a wonderful week. I love your 4-H project!

Mia said...

I love singapore math and i do it with my kids, but we also do A Word Problem A Day for math word problems which is excellent and complements singapore math. I blog on this at http://pragmaticmom.com. See posting: Math Workbooks. Hope this is helpful.

Pragmatic Mom

Laurie said...

I'm sorry LoF didn't work out, but you're right - maybe your younger will like it when she's old enough. My oldest hated Calculadders, but my youngest begs for it. Go figure!

I hope you have a nice weekend!

CloseAcademy said...

It is funny how some things work with some children and not with others. My oldest hated Teaching Reading in 100 Easy Lessons but now that I look back it probably would have worked great with my youngest since we are doing something simliar with reading now. Lol.

I've learned not to sell good resources until after my youngest is beyond them.

Mandy in TN said...

Yep, as much as I enjoyed LoF, Fred just didn't click here either.

I like your new scheduling for history and science. We finally settled on just doing a little bit of everything everyday. So,we keep moving steadily along like the tortoise.

Karen said...

Sounds like you had a good week. I like how you integrate the lessons for the two grades.

Liza Q said...

A fairly good week with little attitude - how wonderful! I find that the right attitudes are more important than the right books.

CloseAcademy said...

Yes, a bad attitude can certainly ruin a well-planned week. But a good attitude goes a long way toward everyone doing a good job and having fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails