Thursday, January 21, 2010

Weekly Report January 21, 2010

It was another good week. We had a few hic-ups with attitude but otherwise we continue to make progress.

My youngest does not like Little Bear because he is a bear. But she is starting to try to read the Animal Friends reader. It is hard for her but she likes cats much better. My oldest read the book about a day in the life of a pilgrim girl and I tracked down the one about the boy. We have the one about the Indian boy on order through the library for next week.

Graphing was fun for my youngest and she did a good job. My oldest spent more time with Fred and worked on multiplication and division with 6. She likes the Fred book although I really don't see where she is learning anything yet.

My youngest learned all about horse breeds and bloods. She also found out more about how to make mummies and the funeral process. She also made a cat statue after I showed her an article about the recent discovery of a temple to Bastet (her favorite).

My oldest learned about the anatomy of rabbits. We also talked about Jamestown. We were not able to do her science lesson this week and the Colonial lapbook was a bust. It was a Knowledge Box one and there were no answers in the packet. I got it for free so it is not too depressing. I just hate it when I find out that a lapbook doesn't have all the information in it.

So I am happy with the progress this week. But I do think that I am going to replace the grammar exercises in the OM book with Ruth Heller's books and our Montessori grammar boxes. I think that the OM stuff can be put on hold for a while and we can do those later.

How was your week?

9 comments:

Our Westmoreland School said...

Luke and I are trying out a lap book for the first time. It's not what I expected at all. The book we d/led is not going to fill up his lapbook, so I'm going to have to add some things. It was free, so I agree, I can't really complain... but I guess I just did anyway ;)

It looks like you had a productive week. We're starting Jamestown next week.... ugh.

CloseAcademy said...

The first lapbook is usually a learning experience. I've found that some lapbooks are better than others.

Personally, I like Jamestown a lot more than the pilgrims. They are a more interesting group of people.

Kash said...

Sounds like a good week.

We really enjoyed learning about Jamestown, but we had also been able to go visit Jamestown the May previous to studying it. The excavations that they are doing are so interesting - if you can find a video about it online or via netflix, it's definitely worth checking it out.

Daisy said...

ITA about the lapbooking. I much prefer them to contain all the information or at least links to the information. Just makes it easier.

LOL, My son didn't like Little Beat either but he liked Frog and Toad. Might try that?

Our Westmoreland School said...

Kash we're planning on going at the beginning of March for hs days :)

I've been having tooth issues this week, I think that's why everything seems 'augh.'

Liza Q said...

Oh, we love Sarah Morton here. You are all learning so much fun stuff - Mummies and pilgrims and horses and rabbits!

Tonia said...

We've had a few hiccups with attitudes lately too - must be something going around! :-) Looks like you had a good week!

Laurie said...

One of the reasons I hated leaving VA is that we were getting ready to start American History & do a 3-yr. study using Truth Quest. We did get to go to Jamestown for their HS day last year & it was great!

Sounds like a good week!

MissMOE said...

Sounds like a good week. How interesting to learn about the anatomy of rabbits. I second the suggestion to try Frog and Toad as all my children enjoyed those books. Thanks for sharing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails