Monday, January 4, 2010

Oak Meadow 5 Has Arrived

I got my box of Oak Meadow 5 materials today. The History/English is dated 2001, Science is 2005 and the TM is 2006. I also have the books to go with the rest of the set. So now, I will post my initial impressions before I have even really looked through them. (So it is like you are opening the box with me.)

U.S. History and English--There is a nice outline in the beginning that tells you what books to read when and what you are studying with each lesson. The lessons have vocabulary, grammar (a decent amount), spelling (we are just going to use SWR), and then the lessons start with reading and activities. My copy has some notes written in pencil to guide me in setting up the week (Thank you former owner of this set.) I always find this sort of thing helpful. It looks good like the lesson won't be too much but just enough to push my daughter along. There is also an English manual in the back.

Environmental Science--There is reading, questions and experiments. It looks fun. We'll see how it turns out as we go along.

The Teacher's Manual--definitions for the vocabulary, explanations and answers for the grammar, and explanations for the history lessons. The History/English is separate from the Science.

I also got Life of Fred Fractions. I am hoping my daughter will enjoy this and once we are done we should be able to move ahead in Singapore Math.

We will probably start things tomorrow. But we are going to take our time getting started and I will let my daughter work at her own pace. I think it will be a little bit more reading than she is used to but I also think it will be good for her and what she is needing.

At the end of the week, I let you know how it all turned out.

2 comments:

MamaGames said...

I've heard good things about the Life of Fred... I'm interested to hear how your daughter likes it!

CloseAcademy said...

I will keep everyone posted about how it goes. We tried it out today and I think she likes it even though it is silly in the beginning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails