Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Finding Time for Chores and Errands

It has been a while since I have done a time management post and I thought I would write about keeping up with chores and errands. Homeschooling takes up a lot of time for most families between actual learning time, researching, planning, and outside activities sometimes there is little time left over for keeping up the house.

I've found that a good schedule or at least a flow chart helps us keep on track with the chores and errands that need to be done to make the house run smoothly. Over time, I have also found that this schedule needs to remain flexible and will change over time. Often, I will draw up a weekly schedule based on our routines and find that these need to be updated 3 times a year as our outside activities change with the seasons.

In the past, I have used Managers of Their Homes as a guide to write my schedules but currently we just use a natural flow. Which looks like this:

Monday
school
library
outside errands

Tuesday
school
laundry
finish coupons
bathroom
trash
4-H--2 times a month

Wednesday
school
creative together time
declutter projects

Thursday
school
prep next school week
main living areas

Friday
bills
banking
outside errands
playgroup

Saturday
bedrooms
large cleaning projects
intensive cleaning projects

Sunday
coupons/sales/shopping lists
shopping

It has been a nice flow for us and I have been keeping on top of things for a few weeks now. When times such as illness, holidays, lots of extra appointments happen then we get a little behind. So do you have a flow or schedule that helps you keep things flowing smoothly in your household?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails