Saturday, December 12, 2009

Plans for 2010--Second Grade

My second grader is really one that is ready to move up to the next grade in January like they do in Australia or in springtime like in Japan. So this past December she really finished first grade and is now ready for second. This is a list of what I am planning to do with her this year:

phonics--Spell to Write and Read

Math--Singapore 1b/2a and Rod and Staff 2

reading--easy readers of her choice with an incentive plan where she earns prizes for reading a certain number of books

copywork--copyscribe horses followed by original sentences and paragraphs that she has composed

Monthly topics we are looking for using:

January--verbs, creation, early eras, dinosaur lapbook, and horses

February--sentences, punctuation, coming of man, ice age lapbook

March--adverbs, Mesopotamia, Ancient India and 1-2 more units

April--pronouns, Ancient Egypt

May--interjection and conjunctions, Ancient Egypt

June--Mythical Creatures/Greek Gods, sentences/capital letters, 4-H projects

July--Ancient Greece

August--Ancient Rome

September--New Testament, Romans in Britain

October--Ancient China

Now all of this is tentative but it is what we are looking at covering. In addition to this she will be doing at least 1 science related lapbook or unit per month on a topic of her choice. We will also be covering advanced grammar topics and be working on diagramming sentences.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Daisy said...

I love your list of monthly topics. How fun! I'm saving this for ideas.

Our Westmoreland School said...

I think it sounds good, and I think planning for the next year at this time of year is an excellent idea!

I'm off to work on my new school year's resolution, lol! Thanks for the idea!

CloseAcademy said...

I had to do it so that I could figure out my budget for next year. Lol. I'm glad you stopped by. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails