Thursday, December 31, 2009

Oak Meadow 2 Has Arrived

My Oak Meadow 2 stuff arrived today. Yeah!

OK, now for the initial impressions. I am going to start with the top of my stack of books and work my way down. I bought the set used and they have dates of 2000 and 2001.

Just So Stories--Looks like it will be similar to the Aesop's Fables that I did with my oldest in 2nd grade. There are a few pictures but mostly small print story. I guess I read this book to her at some point.

Fables--These are Oak Meadow's version of Aesop's Fables. Again, the text is small print and there are few pictures.

Ben and Meg--This is the first reader that she is supposed to do. At the beginning of each story there is a list of words to introduce. The print is large but there are few pictures. There is about as much reading in one story as in a full book of "Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa." So this should challenge my daughter but the words used are such that I think it will really help her to become a fluent reader. There are 13 stories.

Animal Friends--This is the second reader and it looks similar to the first. Only the stories are about animals. There are 14 stories.

The Syllabus--There is an introduction then it is divided into 3 quarters and each quarter is divided up into weekly lessons. At the end of the book is poems and verses for circle time. There are plenty of nice illustrations and description of what to do. More on the Syllabus:

introduction--information on circle time, daily rhythm, play time, and bedtime rituals.

quarter sections--information/expectations on main lesson books, using readers, poetry, math, social studies, science, art, music, crafts and health.

weekly--circle time verses, which book to read aloud, main lesson for LA, reader activities and reading practice. What to do for math and the rest of the subjects for the week.

Voyages of Dr. Dolittle--It is a rather large book that I will read to my daughter.

Animal Stories--Looks similar to the Thornton Burgess books but hopefully more modern. Another book I will use as a read aloud.

Intermediate Recorder, Clay Fun, and First Book of Crafts--we already own these and they are very nice.

I look forward to starting to use the curriculum and over the next week, I will be working on lesson plans. At the end of the second week of January, I should have my first report on how Oak Meadow 2 is going.

2 comments:

jennybell said...

I am looking forward to seeing how this progresses for you. I read Just So Stories for bedtime reading last year. They're not fables, but fun in their own way. Intersting words and full of imagination starters.

Same with Voyages of Dr. Dolittle. My son ended up naming some of his Webkinz after characters in this book.

Enjoy!

CloseAcademy said...

How fun. We are looking forward to starting things.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails