Thursday, November 5, 2009

What's in the box?

I've decided to change the order of how we do school next week. I am tired of feeling like we are just trying to push through our boxes. I am looking at having a time for skill work and then time for subject work. This is what I am thinking of doing:

Box 1--Reading to me or yourself. My second grader will read to me and we will work on sounding out words that she does not know.

Box 2--Math

Box 3--Spelling

Box 4--Read Aloud: On the Banks of Plum Creek is the current read aloud until we get a copy of Lemony Snicket's The Austere Academy.

Then we are going to break into a Waldorf-style block scheduling and focus on a topic for 1-4 weeks. These subject based topics can be:

history
science
art
music
4-H projects
geography
or any thing that we want to do a unit study on

This week we will be working on lapbooks for zebras and lions. We wanted to do lapbooks on hippos and giraffes as well because an interest was sparked by the movie "Madagascar." But we can only find ones for zebras and lions.

I'd love to really let loose and do real Waldorf-style block scheduling where we just have time for reading and math after the main lesson but I think that we really need to spend time on spelling and grammar right now until we get those skills down.

The hope is that instead of feeling like we are dragging through things and trying to do a little of each subject each day that we will be able to really enjoy and learn about a topic. I think that after the poetry lapbook we may let grammar go for a bit and just work on composition skills within the lapbooks.

I'll let you know how it works out.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails