Thursday, October 8, 2009

Weekly Report October 8, 2009

It was a so-so week. My oldest daughter is starting to get emotional and sensitive about once a month and during that time she makes doing school hard. So I am going to have to come up with ideas on how to make things work during that week. But otherwise things went well and we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in our history.

So how did the boxes work for us this week?

Box 1--Read Aloud: The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket, we are almost finished with the book and watched the movie on Thursday. I know that they are getting it because they noticed all the differences and mixed up order of the movie. Yeah!

Box 2--Grammar: Adjectives were a lot of fun this week. They understand what articles, adjectives and nouns are and what they do. The word sorts went well. Happy with this area.

Box 3--Math: Grade 2: addition within 20 is going OK but I think that it is time to pull back from instruction in this area and work on other topics while we review addition facts both within 10 and 20.
Grade 4: Fractions are hard. Division is hard. Math is hard. I hate math. Or so my oldest daughter tells me. So we are going to move on to work in graphs, angles and lines while reviewing multiplication and division facts before working on fractions again.
Math has been so-so this week. Really, it was bad. A nightmare in fact. I don't want to go there.

Box 4--Spelling: it is going really well. They are doing well with 10 words per week and the worksheets I have made up. We are happy with this box.

Box 5--History: We are almost done. We are almost done with the timeline and almost ready to put the lapbook together. During playgroup tomorrow we are going to make the corn husk dolls with our friends.

Box 6--Geography/Biomes: This has been a good box so far. They really like learning about the rainforest and are learning a lot about South America as well. I like this box.

Box 7--Reading: They liked the idea of making fun sentences with October words. My youngest has quite reading words during our reading time. She is guessing or letting me say the word and she is not even trying to sound them out. So we have some work there. I'll let you know how I figure out to combat that.

Box 8--Get Creative: not even touched this week although asked about.

So we got a lot done. We have some things that are going well and some things that are going not so well. The week was not too busy, just the usual errands and horse riding lessons this week.

How was your week?

3 comments:

Kash said...

We had a difficult math week as well, even though my 4th grader is *usually* math strong. Here's hoping for a better week next week for both of us!

CloseAcademy said...

We all have those weeks don't we. Thanks for stopping by.

Cyn said...

Even though it was a so-so week, it seemed to be a very productive one.
((hugs)))))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails