Thursday, October 29, 2009

Weekly Report October 29, 2009

Anyone have a child who doesn't want to learn? I have one and I also have one who wants to learn but it is hard for her. The week went pretty well and we finished up things pretty early every day since we were in wind-down mode.

But it is hard sometimes. I spend a lot of time researching and implementing creative curriculum to teach my children because frankly, textbooks are a real flop. And sometimes, I just don't know if it is worth it. I know it is but it is hard sometimes to do it.

Lately, our learning problems have been hitting walls big time. My oldest is now doing great with reading and spelling and even doing well with writing but she has hit a huge wall in math and she is really struggling to get her multiplication and division facts down so that we can move on in fractions. Basically, she is stuck right now in math because the rest of the work in Singapore 4a and all the work in b really hinges on the fact that she understands the work she did in fractions. Since she struggled with that due to poor multiplication skills we are kind of stuck right now getting those down pat so we can move on.

With my youngest, it is mostly attitude but it is also her unwillingness to learn. She is a bright girl who I always thought would pick things up easily and quickly. But she has decided that it is more fun to play stupid. I would send her to school but she is also a child who is easily influenced and I know would end up picking up horrible social habits and attitudes from school. I am just really frustrated with her right now. And it is not a learning disability--it's stubbornness and laziness.

How do I know?

Well, when she was a little younger, she was very hard to understand because she slurred her words. I took her to the speech therapist and basically, she had the ability to say all the sounds she just chose not to.

So anyway, I think the week went OK despite my frustrations. The workboxes went well. I think we really have a good system down there. But I am thinking of separating their workload again because my oldest is really ready for more and my youngest is not.

So how was your week?

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Sounds like you need a hug! I'm sorry you had a rough week. I understand a bit about having one child who'd rather be playing.

And I totally understand the math thing. We are finishing up Singapore 3B and will head into 4A shortly. I changed curriculums so I hope my DD remembers enough of her mutliplication/divison facts to handle it.

Well, next week can only be better, right, right? LOL. Here's to hoping.

michelle said...

Yes, my boys would prefer to play computer and video games rather than learn!

You're not alone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails