Thursday, October 22, 2009

Weekly Report October 23, 2009

It was a fairly good week although today ended with with my youngest questioning yet again why she needs to learn to read, write or do math. So it ended on a low note. The week went well despite all the stuff we needed to do. Here is a breakdown of how the workboxes worked for us this week:

Box 1--Read Aloud: The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket. Since we got to work early most days we were able to read more than a chapter per day and will finish up this book next week.

Box 2--Grammar: Adjectives are still going well although my oldest can identify them fairly easily, my youngest doesn't care.

Box 3--Math: Second grade: Singapore math was patterns and length, in Rod and Staff we worked on addition within 7, place value and numbers that come before.
Fourth grade: She learned how to measure and make angles. This seemed to be a harder skill for her to pick up than I thought it would be.

Box 4--Spelling: List H-1 the first ten words. Everyone did well practicing the words but my youngest broke down when it was time to write down the words as I dictated them. I am thinking that we will concentrate on spelling with my oldest. My youngest will focus more on rules and phonograms.

Box 5--History: The lapbooks are huge, huge. So it will take us a while and quite a few file-folders to put them together. This will be our afternoon one-on-one project.

Box 6--Biomes/Geography: We did the diorama for the lapbook and will finish the lapbooks next week. This unit sort of fizzled out as I found out that the information we needed to do all the pieces was not on homeschoolshare or in any of the recommended books.

Box 7--Reading: Second grade: I am trying a new technique where I help her sound out unfamiliar words by writing the words letter by letter and marking them so she will know the sounds. She is doing a lot better here this week.

It was a decent week. I was really happy with it until today. How was your week?

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

The lapbook sounds great. My youngest likes making lapbooks and dioramas.
She is also the one who questions why she has to learn certain things,like Roman numerals. :)
Sounds like you had a great week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails