Friday, September 4, 2009

The Geography Box: North America













One of the Montessori yahoo groups I joined has these wonderful files for all the continents and so I got the great idea of making a geography box where we could concentrate on an area of the world for a month. This month we will be focusing on North America.
My plan is that we will work with the box 2-3 times a week. One day would be on cultural topics and another day for mapwork. The pictures represent some of the stuff that is in the box. So what's in there?
Money--this box has money from Belize, U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, and Costa Rica plus more. Whenever anyone goes out of the country I have them give us some of their change to put in a discovery box.
Postcards--We had a well traveled neighbor who gave us his old postcards plus we participated in a postcard exchange a few years ago so we have a nice collection from all over the world.
Flags of the World Map--this is posted on the wall and we have stickers of flags to put on the map as we encounter the countries in our explorations.
United States Puzzle--with this one each state is its own puzzle piece. The world is on the other side.
Pictures and Fact cards--These are the files I was talking about. The picture cards are in full color on the site but I can only print black and white. The link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mm2-Geography/messages Now remember you must be a member of Montessori Makers to join. I can't get into the files right now but I believe it is the countries of the world file.
The state fact cards are available on this site: http://www.montessorimaterials.org/geo.htm There are flags of the world in full color on this site as well.
Maps and command cards--The pin maps I also found on the geography site under pin maps. The command cards are there as well.
I am looking forward to exploring the world with my children this year.



5 comments:

jennybell said...

This box sounds great. I don't know if you use computer learning, but this site - http://yourchildlearns.com/ - has a U.S. Map Puzzle you can download and play on the computer. Samuel loves playing this and it's also good mouse practice.

Wendy Hawksley said...

Thank you so much for the visuals! This helps immensely - very inspiring. It is interesting to read the descriptions of the workboxes and see what your plans are for the week ahead.

she who must be obeyed said...

love it! I have been trying to find time to do a post on our geography/continents box (Africa) but just have not had the time - great to see what someone else is doing!

Montessori Elementary at Home said...

Love this!! We are doing North America this month too. Thanks for the ideas,
Marsha

she who must be obeyed said...

finally got my continents box blog post up - I linked to your post as an example of another one :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails