Friday, September 25, 2009

Fourth Grade Math Box












So what's in the box for 4th grade math? What kinds of things do you use to make multiplication, division, and fractions more fun?
First, there is the curriculum. Singapore is our main text but when we need extra practice we print worksheets from the leveled practice portion of this site: http://www.eduplace.com/math/hmm/ and/or we use Math in My World and work through the chapters that correlate to what skill we are working on.
Next, I made a game where you match the acorn fractions to the reduced fraction oak leaves. This was a hard one to make but I am hoping that she thinks that it is fun and that it helps make reducing fractions quick and easy.
Then, I made a multiples of 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 game. The numbers are on the stockings and the candy canes have the products on them. She is supposed to match the candy canes with the number that it is a multiple of. I thought that it might be a fun way to practice multiplication and division skills.
Next, are more games and manipulatives. Included are the "Tile Game" from this site: http://www.stmichaelschool.us/curriculum.html Just scroll down to times table games. It is called the factor game now.
The multiplication board is a neat one and I don't know where I found the download. I've searched through my links. It is a Montessori material.
And the seal multiplication game for 2's and 3's.
The last picture is of some of the manipulatives we use. Fraction magnets, circles, colored tiles (for dividing large numbers), and the hundred chart.
I know 4th grade math is not quite as exciting and it is hard to be creative with this level of math but I think that we have found some nice visuals, manipulatives and games to help and reinforce skills.
So what's in your math box?



3 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Great post and you provided links to some wonderful resources. Even though we are doing fourth grade, we have to back up a bit for math and get the basics down pat. My kiddo just wasn't getting it.

MissMOE said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions of interesting activities to go with Primary Math 4 which we will be diving into this week. Great resources you linked!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails