Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Big Picture for 2009-2010

After writing about focusing, I decided to draw up the big picture for the school year. Now this is a tentative plan. Things will change. We will drop subjects, add subjects, get ahead or get behind or stall completely. The one thing that is missing from this plan that I know we will add back in at some point is Latin.

So here it is, the big picture:

September
North America
Forests
Early 19th century
addition and subtraction within 20 for 2nd grade
fractions and graphs for 4th grade
SWR Lists D-G
Verbs
Chemistry set, electricity (snapcircuits), and rocks

October
South America
Rainforest
Early 19th Century
Shapes, length, and weight for 2nd grade
Angles, lines and area for 4th grade
SWR Lists H1-I2
Adjectives
Animals, heat and Darwin?

November
Europe
Grasslands
Civil War and Wild West
<,>, graphing, numbers to 40, tens and ones for 2nd grade
Decimals for 4th grade
SWR lists I3-I4
Verbs
Pasteur, Kelvin and Curie

December
Antarctica
Tundra
Polar Express Lapbook
Addition and subtraction within 40 for 2nd grade
Decimals for 4th grade

January
Australia
Desert
Pioneers
Addition and subtraction with 40, introduction to multiplication for 2nd grade
Multiplication and division of decimals for 4th grade
SWR lists J1-J3
Adverbs
Einstein and genetics

February
Africa
Savanna
Turn of the Century
Division, halves, fourths, time, numbers to 100 for 2nd grade
Multiplication and division of measurement, symmetry, solids for 4th grade
SWR lists J4-J6
Prepositions
Robotics?, space exploration?

March
Asia
Alpine
WWI-the Great Depression
Addition and subtraction within 100 for 2nd grade
Volume for 4th grade
SWR list K1-K4
Conjunctions and interjections

April
Taiga, chaparral and ocean
WWII to present day
SWR list K5-K7
Pronouns

In March or April they may move up a level in math or we will use that time to finish up the current level if we get behind. All the science from Darwin forward is pretty much up in the air. We may do something completely different. I may also switch some of the continents around to match up with history. Exp. Africa with the Civil War and Europe with WWI and Asia with WWII.

But for right now this is the big picture and it should help me to figure out what resources I need to have made and on hand at what times. I drew up the big picture from our day to day lesson plans which are mapped out but not set in stone.

Do you have a big picture for the year?

2 comments:

Me and My Ducklings said...

You have inspired me to make my own big picture plan. :) As I have added more subjects (Latin, nature study, consistent history, art), I have realized that I need a bit more focus in when and what I want to do. Thanks for the inspiration to do that! :)

Wendy Hawksley said...

I like to do a sort of overall plan for the school year too, then break it down into the order in which things will be done (always subject to change, though).

It helps keep me on track, or at least give me the illusion of being organized. LOl

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails