Monday, July 20, 2009

First Day, New Way

I started our new way of doing things today. I do not have the Time Travelers CD yet so we are doing a two week unit on Galileo mostly doing his experiments. Here is how it went:

I started my oldest on Latin and worked with my youngest on Grammar. My youngest is using Merry-Go-Round: A book about nouns by Ruth Heller. Today we notebooked plurals that end in "fe."

My oldest continued to translate sentences for Latin. And my youngest worked on math. We started with the cuisinaire rods first and worked on how many different combinations of rods fit into the one we valued at "7." Then we work with Rod and Staff on dozens and the tens place. Then we moved onto Singapore and addition with number bond exercises. She used the rods to solve these.

Then it was time for Spell to Write and Read. We are not doing this in the traditional manner. In fact Wanda Sanseri would think it a horror what I have done to her program. We are working on the phonogram "s" and today we talked about plurals. We made a notebooking page with two sections. On the top we talked about standard plurals and then made pictures for cat and cats. On the bottom talked about exceptions where "es" is added and made pictures for wish and wishes.

Then we learned about the scientific method and made a notebooking page of the order that things are generally done in for the scientific method.

Next, my oldest finished her Latin work and worked on addition of fractions.

We finished the day by painting our new pencil boxes. I hope to have pictures of these at the end of the week.

It was a good day and the only meltdowns were while painting the boxes because they were not turning out right.

Hope you had a great day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails