Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wednesday Review

This week is guilty pleasure week. I normally read romance but all my favorite authors are in between books right now. So, after watching my oldest daughter's enjoyment of graphic novels. I decide to peruse the novels meant for older readers. And I discovered Shojo. Basically, Japanese girl's books. My favorite is:



This is a 36 book series written by Yoko Kamio. The author is an absolute sweetheart. I love her side commentary about what is going on in her life and think that she would be a real neat person to know in real life.

Now, for the books. It is all about high school life and how teens create more drama that most soap operas. It is a Cinderella story and Yoko just leaves you hanging at the end of every book just ready for more. I can't put the books down. They are so good!

I wouldn't let a younger child read them but they would be OK for a teen. Yoko takes on a lot of issues in these books that teens face every day: bullying, cliques, romance, indecision, stress, pleasing the family, peer pressure, being true to yourself, standing up for yourself, standing up for your friends, working hard in school, experiencing the real world, and launching out of the nest.

Thank you Yoko Kamio for Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers). This series is great!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails